Setting Up Your Website & Hosting Account
This page has information about setting up your email and your website, after your hosting account has been created.
Your hosting package includes several options for working with email.
Forwarding to an External Address
If you just wish to forward any firstname.lastname@example.org emails to your existing email address (e.g. Gmail, BigPond, etc), an email forwarder is all you need. In your control panel click Forwarders under E-Mail Management.
Note that you do not need to create an email account for this purpose. Doing so will only waste your hosting disk space by storing duplicate copies of every email you receive (including the spam that gets filtered out before you see it).
Connecting to an Email Account You Have Created
If you don't just wish to forward your email, as described above, first create yourself an Email Account (available under E-Mail Management).
You can log in to your email account at totally.net.au/roundcube.
To set up Gmail as your client (to connect to your website email via Gmail), use these steps:
- In Gmail, go to Settings > Accounts
- Click Add a POP3 mail account you own
- Enter your full email address that you have created in DirectAdmin
- Your username is the same as your full email address
- The POP Server and Port are listed in your welcome email
- Untick the leave a copy... option
- Tick the Always use secure connection option
- Tick the Yes, I want to be able to send... option
- Your name is whatever name you want to be seen as to others (e.g. John Smith)
- Select the Send through SMTP servers option
- The SMTP Server and Port are listed in your welcome email
- Your username is your full email address
- Select the option to secure through TLS
Using Any Other Client (Program)
The settings to connect to your account are available in your welcome email, and also on the Email Accounts page in your control panel. Note that (unfortunately) the Outlook Settings generated by DirectAdmin which are available to download are not correct... you need to enter the given settings manually into Outlook.
Your account includes a great spam blocking system, but it must be activated on your account to have any effect.
Under E-Mail Management click on Spamassassin Setup. It is entirely up to you how you wish to configure the settings, so long as you do click Save at the bottom of the Spamassassin settings page to enable the filters.
Google Search Console
Whether or not you are concerned with having your website appear in Google search results, these tools are very helpful to ensure that your site is 'healthy', free from errors, responding quickly, etc. You can see information about search traffic and search terms being used to find your site, broken links and more.
Learn more and get started at search.google.com/search-console.
This file in the root of your public_html directory gives you control to block Google and other search engines from indexing your site (either blocking specific pages or the entire site).
Learn more at robotstxt.org.